6 Signs your Transmission Fluid is Low
Don’t know how to tell if you’re running low on transmission fluid? No worries. Toyota of Clermont is here to save the day! Keep on reading to find out the 6 tell-tale signs of low transmission fluid.
Keeping up with your car transmission
Why is transmission fluid important?
Your transmission fluid has a big job to do when it comes to keeping everything running smoothly. It’s responsible for transferring power from your engine to the road as well as lubricating and cooling your entire car transmission system.
How can I tell when the fluid is low?
A faulty car transmission component or fluid leak can seriously wreak havoc on your Clermont Toyota. In order to avoid expensive car transmission repairs, you need to be mindful of the signs that you’re low on fluid. Here are the most common indicators that you need to fill up:
- Transmission slipping: If every time you change gears your car falls back out of it you are experiencing car transmission slipping. Sudden up and down shifts, spikes in RPMs before shifting, strange grinding noises, and erratic shifts are also characteristics of this problem. All of these symptoms indicate you’re low on transmission fluid and at risk of overheating. These occurrences may also indicate that important friction materials and transmission bands are unable to fully engage a gear, meaning significant system damage has already occurred.
- Overheated transmission: If you experience a loss of power, smoke coming from your car, a burning smell, or erratic shifts you need to pull over immediately. These are all signs your transmission has overheated due to a lack of fluid. If you continue driving when this occurs you will face serious internal damage.
- Delayed gear engagement: When you’re low on transmission fluid you will experience a noticeable pause (2 to 3 seconds) when you shift into Drive and Reverse. This happens because there isn’t enough hydraulic pressure to initiate the gear change.
- Irregular shifts: Another symptom of low fluid is irregularities in your shifts. You’ll know if your shifts are irregular if they are delayed, sped up, or slamming. The lack of fluid causes inconsistencies for both shift timing and smoothness.
- Unable to shift: When your transmission fluid is on “E” your car will not shift at all. Fill up the reservoir with the correct fluid to temporarily fix the problem. However, you’ll still need to bring your car to our Clermont service center to diagnose the underlying issue.
- Transmission failure: If you experience any of these symptoms after you’ve refilled the fluid reservoir it’s safe to say you are due for a transmission rebuild or replacement.
Affordable Auto Service at Toyota of Clermont
If you find your car is exhibiting any of these symptoms, stop by our Clermont service center. We are open seven days a week for your convenience and are always running auto service specials! Find us at 16851 State Road 50 just off the Florida Turnpike.