What to expect when you schedule brake service at Toyota of Clermont
When you make your list of car care to-dos, you probably have items like oil changes, tire rotations, and detailing near the top. However, you might want to add one more item up there in the top five section of the list – brake service. This auto service is critical to performance and safety, and it should be performed regularly at our Clermont Toyota service center to ensure that you have full stopping power on your side at all times. Toyota of Clermont is here to explain what brake service is and what you can expect when you drop your car off for it at our car care center.
What’s in your car’s braking system?
Before we can properly explain what happens during brake service at our Clermont car care center, we have to go into a little more depth concerning your brake system and what’s in it. Here’s the basic breakdown of the main components:
- Brake pads: Your brake pads are thin pads that, when you press your brake pedal, press against your rotor to create friction. This friction is what slows your vehicle and brings it to a safe stop.
- Calipers: The calipers are metal pieces that hold your brake pads in place and when you press the brake pedal, they press the pads against the rotors to create the aforementioned friction.
- Rotors: The rotors are metal discs that the brake pads press against to slow and stop your vehicle.
- Brake lines and fluid: Your brake lines connect your brake pedal to the rest of the braking system. Brake fluid ensures that the entire system runs smoothly.
What happens during brake service at Toyota of Clermont
Now, let’s talk about what happens when you actually bring your car to Toyota of Clermont for brake service. We’re walking you through it step-by-step (courtesy of our expert brake service techs) so you have a full understanding of what’s going on in the service bays.
- First, our techs will do an inspection of the entire braking system from top to bottom. They’ll look for any existing or developing issues to ensure that your system as a whole is in good shape and doesn’t need any out-of-the-ordinary repairs or service.
- Next, they’ll take a look at your car’s brake pads. If the pads are thick enough, they’ll call it a day; if the pads are too thin, they’ll need to be replaced to prevent damage to the rotors.
- The next step is to inspect the calipers. If they’re dirty or rusted, our Clermont auto service techs will sand them down so they offer optimal performance in the future. If they’re clean and rust-free, our techs will just lubricate them and move on.
- Then it’s time to take a peek at the rotors. Our brake service techs will inspect them for any damage or rusting and proceed accordingly.
- Finally, our techs will look at the brake lines and brake fluid. If the lines are in good shape (free of leaks or excessive wear) and the fluid is full and clean, they’ll move on (or perform a brake fluid flush).
Need to schedule brake service at Toyota of Clermont? Call us today at (352) 404-7000 and don’t forget to ask about our Toyota service specials!