How to Prevent and Deal with Car Flood Damage
Oh, water. It keeps us alive, it flows rivers, and fills the oceans. But, it can also be a nuisance when it comes to your car and home. With an impending hurricane likely going to strike the Clermont area, water may wind up in places you don’t expect and don’t want it to. Excessive rainfall causes flooding in houses and cars all the time and the damages can be extensive and expensive to repair. It’s helpful to use tools like sandbags, plastic sheeting, and other things to prevent water from encroaching on your home and causing flood damage, but what about your Clermont Toyota vehicle? Unless you’re able to protect your ride in a well sealed garage it’ll likely be outside throughout the duration of the storm and could suffer significant damage.
Flood damage is a real threat to your vehicle and it can be difficult to avoid if you live in an area that doesn’t have the best drainage. If you’re worried about possible flooding and how it could affect your ride, read on! Toyota of Clermont is here with a guide to help you prevent car flood damage and how to deal with it if it happens.
How to Prevent Car Flood Damage
With hurricane Dorian arriving in just a few days, it’s likely that you’re worried about what could happen with all the excessive rainfall and high winds. If you’ve already boarded your house, put sand bags down, and secured your belongings then you’re doing a great job! But, if you haven’t figured out what to do with your ride to prevent Clermont Toyota car flood damage, then you’ve got some prep to do. Here’s what you should do to keep your vehicle from suffering flood damage:
- Park Your Car Under Cover:
If you have open garage space or a place where your car can be safely covered from the rain and wind then use it. Your vehicle will fare far better under protective cover than outside in the elements.
- If You Have No Cover, Park on Higher Ground:
Have you ever come home during or after a summer rain shower and your street has turned into a lazy river? While it sounds tempting to swim in (DON’T), your Clermont Toyota car won’t have so much fun. If you can, try to park on higher ground rather than on the street. If the water rises high enough it can enter your vehicle’s interior or exhaust system and lead to a whole mess of problems.
- Try Not to Park Under Trees:
High winds means trees can get uprooted or branches can fall and your car will suffer a lot of damage if something falls on it. Try to avoid parking under trees during the storm.
How to Deal with Car Flood Damage
If your vehicle ultimately suffers flood damage, don’t panic. Here are a few steps to take to minimize damage to your Clermont Toyota ride and start repairs:
- Don’t start your vehicle immediately. There could be built up water in the engine compartment or exhaust system and that could cause a total engine failure. Wait for things to dry up and then try.
- Check the interior. If you notice water inside the vehicle, grab some tools and start removing everything you can. Try to remove the seats, center console, and head-unit to avoid further damage to these parts.
- If you have one, use a wet/dry vacuum to remove water from the floors and seats. This will help start the drying process and prevent mold from growing.
- Start drying the interior. The easiest way to do this is to use fans to start getting air flowing throughout the interior.
- Check EVERYTHING! After you’ve finished drying the interior and reinstalled all the parts you removed, start to check everything. Try out your power mirrors, check the gauge cluster, and other electronic component that may have been affected.
Make sure to prepare well for this incoming storm and keep yourself, your loved ones, and your ride safe. If your vehicle suffers any damage from the storm, we can help you fix it at Toyota of Clermont! Visit us at 16851 State Road 50 and stay safe!