Your car battery is pretty essential to getting things running under the hood of your car. Without it, you aren't going anywhere! That's why it's so important to maintain, and it's also essential to schedule an Orlando car battery replacement when it's time to swap it out for a new one. We've got tips on maintaining this important element in the engine bay AND signs you might need a new one!
Maintain your car battery like a pro!
First, look over your car battery from top to bottom - this means the cables, too! Make sure everything is in good condition and that you don't see corrosion anywhere. Also be on the lookout for signs of swelling or bloating - this can indicate that your battery is going back and you need to schedule an Orlando car battery replacement ASAP!
Next, clean around the battery posts. You'll want to flip the plastic caps back if your battery has them, and use a mixture of one cup water/1 tbsp baking soda and a toothbrush to clean away any dirt or grime; you can also use a stiff wire brush to get the job done. You should do this at least every six months!
The next step in maintaining your car battery is testing it! You can get a cheap tester at an auto parts store (like the Orlando Toyota Parts Store we have on premise at our dealership!) and check the voltage to ensure your battery still has plenty of juice. If it's running low, you might want to run it by our Orlando Toyota Service Center to see if you need a replacement. It's better to nip things in the bud before you find yourself stranded on the side of the road with a dead car!
Know the signs you need Orlando Toyota Service for your battery!
Next, let's talk sure signs you need to get a replacement scheduled at our Toyota Service Center in Orlando - here are the dead giveaways:
- Your check engine light is on! This can sometimes indicate weak battery power.
- Your car won't start. If the engine won't turn and you just hear clicks when you turn the key, you most likely have a dead battery and need to tow your car into our
- Orlando Toyota Service Center for maintenance or replacement!
- Like we said, if you see your battery case bloating or swelling, this is indicative of a big problem. Don't let it go - get it checked out!
- Another sign that you're probably going to have to schedule an Orlando car battery replacement is if your battery has a leak; you'll notice corrosion, especially around the cable posts.
Also be mindful of how old the battery is! It depends on your drive time habits, but you typically need to replace it every 36 months or so.
Have questions or need to schedule Orlando car battery maintenance or replacement? Call us today - we're open seven days a week at (866) 454-1614!